Sample Question

Everything that concerns the open-source Raman spectrometer
BowenZheng

Sample Question

Post by BowenZheng »

Hi there,

I'm planning on using the performance raman in conjunction with a 3-axis stage to make a raman microscope. That way, I can get material composition and topological map. However, I saw that the options for sample analysis is only for solids in powdered form. Consequently, I'm wondering if it's possible to use the solid in non-powdered form and analyze material (like a steel alloy) with the performance raman. If so, would it be harder to do it in non-powdered form and would the quality of the spectrum be worse?

Best,
Bowen
Luc
Site Admin

Re: Sample Question

Post by Luc »

I have actually never tried. I would expect it to work but maybe orientation of the sample could change light intensity.

If you do some tests, please share your results :)
BowenZheng

Post by BowenZheng »

Hi Luc,

I'll first work with the solid cuvette sample first before trying unpowdered solid.

I had another question: could I put the solid powder in the test tube and use the same setup as the one you showed for the liquid cuvette (http://www.open-raman.org/build/breadbo ... r-upgrade/)?

Best,
Bowen
Luc
Site Admin

Post by Luc »

No, unfortunately. The liquid cuvette is designed to focus the beam at the center of the tube. If you put powder inside, the beam will stop at the wall and be too broad to collect effectively the photons. It's also the reason the liquid cuvette only works with clear (ie non-turbid) liquids.