Any experience with PCBWay CNC service?

Everything that concerns the open-source Raman spectrometer
aqui_c

Any experience with PCBWay CNC service?

Post by aqui_c »

PCBWay started offering manufacturing services.

They quoted 109U$ for the base plate in AL6061 with black anodizing, and the shipping to France 40U$. In total, it would come to ~190U$ including VAT.

Looks like a very competitive price, and was wondering if anyone has any experience working with them? I recently moved and lost access to a CNC workshop, so I'm looking for options.
Luc
Site Admin

Re: Any experience with PCBWay CNC service?

Post by Luc »

Not on my side; I'm currently working with Xometry even though I also worked for years with different companies in China and Singapore at my former employer.

$109 isn't a lot -- I think Xometry would charge twice that. Don't waste your time with imalize (France) by the way, while they do have good quality their prices are insane.

An alternative is to have a look for fablabs with supports.

If you order at PCBWay, please tell us about the quality of the parts!
aqui_c

Post by aqui_c »

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking into fablabs as well. Universities have some very well equipped but they don't seem to be open to outsiders :-(

I'll keep you posted about PCBWay! (JLCPCB also has some offerings, but their quoting system crashed when I uploaded the file)
shaun

Post by shaun »

We ended up getting our machined aluminum base plate from PCB way and it was pretty painless.The final price was in the ballpark of $150 with the tapping (and we splurged for black anodized). We also had a the cuvette holder parts printed with them which came out better than I was expecting but still a bit wet with resin, and surprisingly brittle - YMMV.
Luc
Site Admin

Post by Luc »

Yes, resin prints tend to be very brittle. For the cuvette, I recommend SLS technology. Resin is essentially useful when you want very small details like in the laser holder.